Table of Content
- ICAI CA Foundation Paper Pattern 2023
- CA Foundation Marks Distribution 2023
- CA Foundation Syllabus Paper-1: Principles and Practices of Accounting
- CA Foundation Syllabus Paper 2: Business Laws and Business Correspondence and Reporting
- CA Foundation Syllabus Paper 3: Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning and Statistics
- CA Foundation Syllabus Paper 4: Business Economics and Business and Commercial Knowledge
- Frequently Asked question
Chartered accounting is a popular career choice for students all around the world because it is a highly regarded field with competitive earnings. In India, passing all three levels of the CA Foundation, IPCC, and CA Final exams—three of the most difficult exams in the world—is the initial step in pursuing a career in this area. These exams are given by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI). The test format, grading system, and a lot more will all be covered in this blog post in relation to the CA Foundation syllabus 2023.
|Exam Name||CA Foundation (earlier known as CA CPT)|
|Conducting Authority||The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)|
|Level of Exam||National|
|Exam Category||Undergraduate (UG)|
|Course Offered||Chartered Accountancy in India|
|Mode of Exam||Offline i.e. Pen and Paper-based Test (PPT)|
|Duration of Exam||4 Hours (2 Hours for each exam Session)|
|Frequency||Multiple times a year|
ICAI CA Foundation Paper Pattern 2023
Mentioned below is the latest ICAI CA Foundation exam pattern for the 2023 CA Foundation exam:
|Exam Name||ICAI CA Foundation|
|Medium of Exam||English or Hindi (English being compulsory for Section B of Paper 2)|
|Maximum marks||400 (100 per paper)|
|Negative marking||-1/4th mark for every wrong answer to the objective questions in Paper 3 and 4|
|Type of questions||Paper 1 and 2- Subjective
Paper 3 and 4- Objective
|Passing criteria||40% marks per paper
50% marks overall
CA Foundation Marks Distribution 2023
The CA Foundation course outline and subjects, together with the associated weights or marks, are listed below. Certain CA Foundation courses are divided into two halves, therefore the student needs to be familiar with the CA Foundation exam syllabus and the subjects that count towards the exam’s weight
|Papers||CA Foundation Subjects||Marks Distribution|
|Paper 1||Principles and Practices of Accounting||100 Marks|
|Paper 2||Business Laws and Business Correspondence and Reporting
1. Business Laws
2. Business Correspondence and Reporting
|Paper 3||Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning and Statistics.
1. Business Mathematics
2. Logical Reasoning
|Paper 4||Business Economics and Business and Commercial Knowledge
Section A: Business Economics
Section B: Business and Commercial Knowledge
CA Foundation Syllabus Paper-1: Principles and Practices of Accounting
The Principles and Practice of Accounting is a three hours long paper with 100 marks. The CA foundation syllabus for this paper is as follows:
- Theoretical Framework
- Accounting Process
- Accounting for Special Transactions
- Concept and Accounting of Depreciation
- Final Accounts of Sole Proprietors
- Bank Reconciliation Statement
- Partnership Accounts
- Financial Statements of Not-for-Profit Organizations
- Introduction to Company Accounts
CA Foundation Syllabus Paper 2: Business Laws and Business Correspondence and Reporting
Paper 2 is a three-hour paper with a maximum weight of 100 marks that focuses mostly on business laws and business correspondence and reporting. The following is the syllabus for the CA foundation test for this paper, which is further broken into two sections:
Section A: Business Law [60 Marks]
- The Indian Contract Act, 1872
- The Sale of Goods Act, 1930
- The Indian Partnership Act, 1932
- The Limited Liability Partnership Act, 2008
- The Companies Act, 2013
Section B: Business Correspondence and Reporting [40 Marks]
|Part 1: Communication||Types, Directions, Network, Process, Problems, Barriers, Types of Communication (Interpersonal, Listening Skills, and Emotional Intelligence)|
|Part II: Sentence Type and Word Power||1. Sentence Definition
2. Classification of the sentence based on connotation: Assertive, Interrogative, Imperative, Exclamatory, and Optative sentences.
3. Sentence Structure: Subject and Predicate, Verb (Auxiliary, Finite), Object (Direct & Indirect Speech), Complement, Adjunct or Adverbial, Clause Structure, Types of Clauses, Direct and Indirect speech.
4. Active Passive Voice
5. Verbs Voice Active or Passive
6. Vocabulary Root Words
7. Synonyms and Antonyms
8. Prefixes and Suffixes
9. Phrasal Verbs, Collocations, and Idioms.
|Part III||Comprehension Passages and Note Making|
|Part IV: Developing Writing Skills||Introduction to Basic Writing: Precise, Article, and Report Writing, Writing Formal Letters, and Mails, Resume Writing, and Meetings.|
CA Foundation Syllabus Paper 3: Business Mathematics and Logical Reasoning and Statistics
With a period of 2 hours, the Business Mathematics, Logical Reasoning, and Statistics is a total of 100 marks paper. The CA foundation syllabus 2023 and marks of every section have been listed below:
Part – A: Business Mathematics [40 Marks]
- Ratio and Proportion, Indices and Logarithms
- Equations and Matrices
- Linear Inequalities with Objective Functions and Optimization w.r.t. Objective Function
- Time value of Money
- Permutations and Combinations
- Sequence and Series
- Sets, Relations, and Functions
- Basic applications of Differential and Integral calculus
Part – B: Logical Reasoning [20 Marks]
- Number Series, Coding and Decoding and the Odd Man Out.
- Direction Tests
- Seating Arrangements
- Blood Relations
Part – C: Statistics [40 Marks]
- The Statistical Description of Data
- Measures of Central tendency and Dispersion
- Theoretical Distributions
- Correlation and Regression
- Index Numbers and Time Series
CA Foundation Syllabus Paper 4: Business Economics and Business and Commercial Knowledge
To develop the necessary problem-solving skills, the CA foundation syllabus 2023 of the Business Economics and Business and Commercial Knowledge assesses the knowledge of candidates in the following list of topics:
Part I: Business Economics [60 Marks]
- Introduction to Business Economics
- Theory of Demand and Supply
- Theory of Production and Cost
- Price Determination in Different Markets
- Business Cycles
Part II: Business And Commercial Knowledge [40 Marks]
- Business and Commercial Knowledge – An Introduction
- Business Environment
- Business Organizations
- Government Policies for Business Growth
- Organizations Facilitating Business
- Common Business Terminologies
Let us understand how well the answer copies be evaluated for this exam:
- Total marks- 400
- Paper 1 and 2 are subjective and Paper 3 and 4 are Objective type
- In an objective question, 0.25 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer
- It is mandatory to score a minimum of 40% marks in every subject and a minimum of 50% of the aggregate of marks in all subjects
Frequently Asked Questions
Applicants who want to become CAs must successfully complete the CA Foundation stage. To move on to the second level of the CA Test, students must pass the four major subjects that make up CA Foundation.
No, the service is not a paid one. After your registration for the CA course, you will soon get your books.
Indeed, there are negative markings on the CA Foundation exam. One incorrect response subtracts one-fourth of a mark from the final grade. Hence, just respond to questions you are comfortable with.
The CA foundation preparation process is labor-intensive, but nothing is insurmountable. The benefit of the CA foundation is that it does not involve a competitive test; it merely requires a particular threshold. So that you may relax and focus exclusively on what you need to accomplish to pass this exam.
No, there hasn’t been a change to the CA Foundation curriculum yet. Nonetheless, the CA Final syllabus has undergone minor adjustments. You can learn more by reading our blog post on the revised CA Final syllabus!
No minimum grade or percentage is needed to take the CA Foundation Examinations. You can only take the test if you pass your 10+2 exams.
The CA foundation test syllabus is therefore quite varied and extensive. It goes without saying that to ace this exam, one must have a solid preparation plan. The professionals at Leverage Edu are there to help you if you need any career-related advice. You can schedule a free 30-minute consultation with a professional counsellor and receive prompt answers to any of your questions!
According to the syllabus and required level of knowledge to pass the exam, three months is the best amount of time to begin studying and practising for the CA Foundation exam.
Creating an account with the CA Foundation is the first step. Your registration is good for three years after you submit it. Throughout this time frame, candidates can submit applications for the May/November CA Foundation test. A maximum of six exams may be applied for and taken throughout a three-year period by candidates.